Birds are endothermic animals; they maintain their constant temperature in both cold and warm environments. But they are also delicate animals, especially in the summer season, since the sun and high temperatures affect them, especially if they begin to change their plumage.
It is our job to help the birds in this thermoregulation mechanism and make the summer months pleasant for our pets.
The birds most sensitive to heat are young, old and obese. Normally, the species that tend to be obese are the parakeets, canaries, rosella and Amazonian parrots. Among small birds, goldfinches, diamonds or coral pits are the most prone to dehydration. But, regardless of their condition or species, all birds need to have the maximum care in summer to avoid suffering from heat.
At the end of the summer the birds usually change the plumage (although it depends on the species to which they belong). With the molt they spend a lot of energy and need the nutrients, amino acids and vitamins essential for the growth of new feathers. Therefore, it is of vital importance to offer them in this period a complete and balanced food that satisfies their nutritional needs. In Tiendanimal we have a great variety of food for birds, of great quality and designed for each species and for each stage of life.
Hygiene is one of the most important points to take into account for the care of birds with the arrival of summer. The excrement, the remains of feathers and the areas of humidity caused by splashing in the water are breeding grounds for viruses and bacteria that can cause serious damage to our birds. But in addition to hygiene, there are other important aspects that must be taken into account in the care of birds in summer, such as water and food. Below we explain in detail some tips and recommendations for the care of birds in summer, they will be of great help and can better withstand high temperatures.
Advice for the care of birds with the arrival of heat
When the high temperatures arrive we can observe how the birds stop having as much physical activity as in winter, that they drink a greater amount of water and that they want more due to the heat. How can we take care of them so they do not get so hot? Following a series of simple tips we can help our pets to be more comfortable with the arrival of summer and to withstand the heat:
You should decrease the amount of food and create a more balanced diet according to the hot months, that is, less fat and more fruits and vegetables cold and juicy as watermelon, melon, lettuce and apple. And make sure you always have clean, fresh water at your fingertips.
The cage should be placed in a cool place away from direct sunlight. In addition, it is convenient to place a bathtub so that they can slosh and refresh themselves when they need it. The use of sprayers is also appropriate, especially for tropical birds.
With the high temperatures it becomes even more necessary to always have the cage clean to avoid viruses and harmful bacteria for our pets. In summer, extreme hygienic measures must be taken to prevent diseases.
Trips in summer can be dangerous for birds, so if it is a long journey or you have to use several means of transport; it is convenient to leave them in a holiday residence for pets or the care of someone.
Following these tips will ensure that your pet is happy during the summer months. But if at any time you notice that she is more apathetic, that she has tremors or convulsions, take her quickly to the veterinarian specialized in birds. It may be suffering a heat stroke, very dangerous in these animals.
What kind of bird do you have as a pet? In the hot months is it as talkative and active as in winter? What food do you give in the summer? Do you like to cool off in your bathtub? Tell us how you and your bird live the summer and what advice you give to other readers 🙂
Other Garden Carers Are Reading:
- Still Having Problems With Your Wood Glue? Here Is The Ultimate Adhesive Guide FAQs From Selection To Application 2021
- Best 10 Herbicide Of 2021 For Maintaining A Clean & Healthy Yard Reviewed
- 10 Best Ultrasonic Pest Repeller Detailed Review 2021: Find Your Indoor Protector Here
✅ Outdoor Garden Design And Tips
- 20 Outdoor Furniture Ideas To Make You Happy In The Garden 2021
- Care & Maintenance Of Garden Furniture In A Snap 2021: Keeping Your Outdoor Space Good As New
- How To Use Patio Heaters? Tips On Safety, Functions And Purchase Of Outdoor Heating 2021
✅ Home Design And Tips
- Bring The Wonders Of The Garden Into Your Own Bedroom: Ideas To Make Over Your Room 2021
- The Loud And Clear Reminder To Get House Insurance 2021
- Love Your Garden Possessions? Protect Your Prized Garden Furniture With Home Insurance 2021
✅ Garden Care Products
- All You Need To Know About Lawn Sweepers: What, How, When, Which FAQs 2021
- The Best Indoor and Outdoor Ant Killer Reviewed 2021: For Getting Rid Of Pests And Safety Tips
- 10 Best Rear Tine Tiller Compared And Reviewed 2021: Breaking New Ground Without A Hitch
✅ Sustainable Living Products And Tips
✅ Plant Care And Products
- Organic Gardening Creating A Chemical Free Garden
- Everything You Need To Know Of The Common Heliotrope 2021 | Benefits, Uses, Remedies, Cures & Side-Effects
- The Medicinal Periwinkle Or Dwarf Periwinkle 2021 | Facts, Uses, Remedies, Cures & Side-Effects
✅ Bird Care
- The Ultimate Guide To Budgie Aviary Set Up: Save Cost And Time 2021
- What Can Parrots Eat Or Not Eat? Find The Best Safe Fruits and Vegetables For Healthy Bird Diet 2021
- Top Environment and Cage Tips For Parrot Owners: How To Make Your Parrot Comfortable At Home 2021
✅ Decluttering Tips