Each year when the weather gets cold, environmentally conscious homeowners search for new ways to keep their houses warm during the winter.
If you already have common green ideas in motion such as plastic over the windows, there are still a few stones left unturned. Listed below, there are five interesting ways to ensure that you do not need to turn on the heat all winter long.
Get A Wood Heating Stove
Despite the initial expense of having a wood-burning stove properly installed in your home, the savings can be immense. This is especially true if you live near wooded areas.
Throughout the year, as the city begins to trim trees, you can start your wood collecting. Once you start placing a focus on it, you soon realize there are multiple opportunities to collect free wood to burn in the winter. Naturally, burning wood saves on fossil fuel heating costs.
The Heating Power Of Compost
Do you always save scraps from meals and put them in the compost bin? If so, you have an easy to harness source of heat and methane gas. However, what you do not need is a giant pile of rotting food in the middle of your living room.
Instead, there are several high-tech eco-friendly devices that collect and distribute this heat for you. Some upscale models also include a methane collection device that re-routes to specially fitted gas appliances. All you need to do with any compost heap model is add daily scraps and perform a minimal amount of maintenance.
Hay Bale Your House
In order to get the edge on an environmental way to save money, use one of the oldest barn warming techniques on record. Instead of building an unsupervised fire in a barn, farmers typically kept their animals warm throughout the winter by stacking hay around the barn itself.
While this sounds like a funny idea for the suburbs, the truth is that you do not need to have livestock in order to buy hay bales and surround your home with them.
If neighbors give you the stink eye about your green way to save energy, you can always disguise them by wrapping the exposed hay bales in attractive plastic wrap. The hay bales can also be included as part of your holiday outdoor display.
Stove Heating – From Primitive Decor Ideas
Living Walls And Green Roofs
Have you ever seen a home that has a garden on top of the roof or plants growing up the sides of the outside walls? Although it takes a considerable amount of preparation, starting a living wall or green roof means that you will have a warm house all winter.
Instead of adding insulation inside of the walls, this takes care of the heat loss issue from the outside. Living walls and green roofs are impressive on their own, but their ability to seal cracks without lifting a finger saves a considerable amount of money for homeowners.
DIY Indoor Overalls
Have you ever wanted to wrap yourself in a warm blanket on a cold day and never take it off? If you have an arts and crafts streak, you can make your own indoor warmth garment from an old blanket. The idea is to loosely make a full body cutout and sew the two sides together.
Add a coat zipper and a hood to include a little bit of extra warmth. There are similar prefabricated models on the market, but making your own from scratch means extra green points for re-using an old blanket.
Aaron Gormley writes on all things air-related, whether it be Allied Heat Transfer air coolers , how to keep your house heat in, or air conditioning technology.
===> Find Even More Related Good Ideas ===>
Other Garden Enthusiast Are Reading:
- Best Backpack Sprayer 2022: Complete Buyer’s Guide For Fertilizers, Herbicides & Pesticides
- 10 Best Riding Lawn Mower For Hills: Reliable & Effective Brands To Take Care Of Your Yard 2022
- Best Tips On Herbicides Usage And Selection – All You Need To Know Before Application FAQs 2022
✅ Outdoor Garden Design And Tips
- Inspirations For The Best Outdoor Living In Summer: Garden Style Guide 2022
- How to Choose Potting Soil? Beginner’s Guide To Planting Basics 2022
- The Best Skin Care Herb – Centella Asiatica: The Benefits & Home Medicinal Remedies 2022
✅ Indoor Design And Tips
- 4 New Ideas To Make Better Use Of Your Trash: Get Crafty To Recycle And Reduce Waste 2022
- The Loud And Clear Reminder To Get House Insurance 2022
- How To Choose The Right Log Cabin For Any Garden? (2022)
✅ Even More Great Products
- How To Use Patio Heaters? Tips On Safety, Functions And Purchase Of Outdoor Heating 2022
- The Ultimate Guide On Fertilizer Spreader: For All Lawn Care Purposes FAQs 2022
- How Effective Are Ultrasonic Repellers? Tips You Need For Keeping Insects At Bay With Ease 2022
✅ Sustainable Lifestyle Products And Tips
- Do Solar Panels Make For A Sensible Investment For Your Home? All The Benefits And Various Charges You Need To Know 2022
- How To Find Your Car In Giant Outdoor Parking Lots When No-one Else Could – How We Laughed!
- Encouraging Children To Save Our Environment: Start Eco Education At Young Age For Better Future 2022