In today’s world many of us live in apartments and small condos with little or no garden and yet, there still seems to be a need for us to dip our hands into the soil and have the pleasure of watching plants and vegetables grow. Gardeners have put their heads together a creative method of managing a reasonable output of vegetables.
One such way is called an inter-cropping system. This arrangement calls for careful planning and knowledge of each crop’s performance. The key to successful inter- cropping is choosing vegetables that are singularly adapted for use in this system.
These vegetables will have a small to medium space (4-6 inches per plant) requirement for growth and maturity, a quicker maturity rate than the crop in which it will be inter-cropped with, or it will have shade tolerance. The more requirements the vegetable meets, the better.
Vegetables that usually work well with inter-cropping include beets, chard, kohlrabi, lettuce, carrots, parsley, green onion, spinach, radishes and turnips for the green and roots. Another benefit to these vegetables is that they are typically tolerant of occasional frosts.
This means that they can be planted earlier than other vegetables (like peppers and tomatoes). They can be planted between 4-6 weeks before the frost-free point and will have the quality of being able to germinate and grow their best in cold soils.
Since planting space will be limited, you should consider only plants that can offer maximum returns. These include vegetables like celery, green onions, herbs, kale, parsley, spinach, pepper and tomatoes because they can offer the chance of multiple harvests over long periods of time.
On the other hand, you will want to carefully decide about including vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, garlic, onion bulbs and radishes due to the fact that they will only yield a one-time harvest.
Your personal preferences and the kind of production you want from your inter-cropping garden need to be assessed for the efficiency of your small garden.
Beware the problems of trying to put too many plants in too small a space. A lesser quality will be achieved in all vegetables if they aren’t allowed a certain amount of space and height.
There are some plants which sprawl with growth. If you grow these around a circle of wire or stake them out you will gain space and also keep the plants off the ground for a cleaner and more abundant fruit.
By considering your options with inter cropping you will inevitably grow more and a better fruit or vegetable within a small space.
===> Find Even More Related Good Ideas ===>
Other Garden Enthusiast Are Reading:
- Where Do You Put Your Coffee On A Garden Bench? The Solution To Quality Self-Time
- Best Tips On Herbicides Usage And Selection – All You Need To Know Before Application FAQs 2021
- Still Having Problems With Your Wood Glue? Here Is The Ultimate Adhesive Guide FAQs From Selection To Application 2021
✅ Outdoor Garden Design And Tips
- What Can Parrots Eat Or Not Eat? Find The Best Safe Fruits and Vegetables For Healthy Bird Diet 2021
- How To Create A Greener Garden Space: Ultimate Guide To Making Your Loved Outdoor Space Eco-Friendly 2021
- Detailed Review On The 10 Best Garden Shears 2021: Get Your Best Fit Here
✅ Indoor Design And Tips
- 4 New Ideas To Make Better Use Of Your Trash: Get Crafty To Recycle And Reduce Waste 2021
- Beginner’s Guide to Indoor Grow Box Before Purchase: Sustainable Cultivation Secrets at Home or in Office FAQs 2021
- How To Choose The Right Log Cabin For Any Garden? (2021)
✅ Even More Great Products
- The Best Amazon Prime Day Gardening Deals For Families To Get Your Hands On 2021: Everything From Lawn, Plants And Furniture That Are Too Good To Miss
- 9 Best Traveling Sprinkler Reviewed And Compared 2021: The Secret Of A Perfect Lawn
- The 10 Best Glue For Plastic: Versatile Adhesive Solutions For Materials and Projects 2021
✅ Sustainable Lifestyle Products And Tips
- The Power Of Sun For Your Garden: The Best Solar Garden Light Models Reviewed and Compared 2021
- The Dreaded Picnic Season Is Upon Us: How To Find the Perfect Family Spot? Get The Best Picnic Table Now 2021
- Do Solar Panels Make For A Sensible Investment For Your Home? All The Benefits And Various Charges You Need To Know 2021