What Is A Mosquito Trap?
This is an electronic device designed to catch mosquitoes and other small flying pests. The mosquito trap emits light that attracts insects. As soon as they approach the device, the airflow sucks them inward. Ultimately, the trapped mosquitoes either die or remain motionless, unable to escape.
✅ Best Insect And Mosquito Trap
Good mosquito abatement tool, quiet and effective so far! – Works really well. Right out of the box and onto fence. Installation was super quick and easy. We’ve been running this now for about a month and noticed that the amount of mosquitoes has drastically dropped. Really happy with this product. Overall would recommend it.
What Are The Different Types Of Mosquito Trap?
There are several types of mosquito traps:
- BG-Sentinel Trap
They are designed for two specific species: the yellow fever mosquito and the Asian tiger mosquito, which are very difficult to catch. The BG-Sentinel trap looks like a bucket: it attracts mosquitoes using carbon dioxide, octenol bait or human scent. A funnel from above leads the insects to an electric fan, which pulls them into the net.
- Gravid Trap
Such traps catch Culex mosquitoes. In this case, a container with stagnant water is placed under a battery-powered fan. The insects get attracted to this water and get sucked by the fan. However, if the collection contained and battery for the fan aren’t present, such trap will turn into a breeding site for pests.
- CDC Light Trap
Such traps have become the industry standard. They consist of a 6V battery with a motor fan and a mosquito collection contained. Such models are portable and can be used as an outdoor or a home mosquito trap. They emit carbon dioxide that attracts insects. Mosquitoes get caught by the fan and go to the collection cap which they cannot escape.
What Are The Critical Mosquito Trap Parts & Components?
The construction of mosquito traps is different for various models. As a rule, they consist of a fan that’s driven by a motor, a contained where trapped mosquitoes are left, a mosquito net, and a module that emits carbon dioxide or some other substances.
How to Buy a Perfect Mosquito Trap?
In order to purchase the best mosquito trap that will comply with your requirements, you should keep in mind a few aspects.
- Length Of Electric Cord
The location of a mosquito trap is important, and if you’re going to use it indoors, make sure it has a sufficient length of electric cord. Ideally, it should be about one meter or at least 6 feet. This way, you’ll be able to install it anywhere in the room.
- Safety & Regulations For Distance Of Human Activity
While traditional mosquito traps that emit carbon dioxide are quite safe for people, the models that require artificial baits can be a bit more dangerous. The first variant is recommended to be used at home. Some insect traps use stagnant water or wet soil to attract pests, for instance, Mega catch ultra mosquito trap. They are supposed to be used outside only (ideally, far from human activity).
- Regular Weather Conditions
If you use a mosquito trap indoors, it doesn’t matter what the weather is. However, if you want a portable model to be used outside, choose something with sturdy construction and waterproof materials. Plastic traps with nets would be the best solution.
For a device to be less annoying, select models with noise level up to 40 dB – they won’t disturb your sleep. The size of a fan usually defines the level of noise, that’s why compact models tend to emit less sound.
- Durability And Easy Cleaning
While mosquito collector caps are easy in cleaning, nets are less convenient in care and maintenance. As for durability, you should read feedbacks to understand how long a model will last.
Fast Facts About Mosquito Traps
- In Northern part of the USA, Octenol bait is typically used for traps, while residents of Southern states prefer Lurex3.
- Things that attract mosquitoes most are floral scent, dark colors, and carbon dioxide, sweat, body heat, and the smell of Limburger cheese. Beer-drinking people are more likely to attract a mosquito.
- What is the best mosquito trap? Carbon dioxide insect killers are supposed to be the most efficient among eco-safe models.
- For a mosquito to be dehydrated and die in the trap, it should stay inside for at least one week.
- Mosquitoes fly below 25 feet, so don’t hang the outdoors trap too high.
How To Use a Mosquito Trap?
Traditional mosquito traps are quite simple in use. Here’s how it works:
- Assemble the trap. If special baits are used, insert the cartridge with the attractant. Note that cartridges are recommended to be changed every 30 days.
- Place the device correctly. Here comes the most difficult part. Do you know where the perfect place for insect is? If you use a trap in your bedroom, it should be placed near the window but as far from your bed as possible. In the kitchen, the trap should be placed away from the sources of food (use tasty baits to lure bugs and flies). Outdoors, you can place the trap anywhere. Please, remember that the most effective mosquito trap uses chemical attractants. Such devices should be placed so that to maintain at least 25 ft distance from the human activity. CO2 traps are less toxic.
- Now when the strategic location is found, plug the device in.
- Mosquito traps can work for as long as you need, but should better be on during nighttime when mosquitoes see the light. In the daytime, they’ll be attracted by smell only.
- As soon as the trap’s work is finished, you need to clean it from dead pests. Put out the tray/container, and wash it with tap water and soap. If there’s a sticky pad, simply discard it.
- Some mosquito traps feature a tray for bait. Don’t forget to get rid of the baits and clean the tray regularly. Otherwise, you will attract other unwanted pests.
Even if you have a mosquito trap made of weatherproof materials, better store it at home when it’s not being used. It will prolong the service life of the unit and the lights.
Mosquito Trap Safety Rules And Other Tips
If you want to get maximum out of your mosquito trap, follow some pro tips:
- Activate the mosquito trap when it starts getting dark, e.g. at five o’clock. Place it in a dark spot and switch on.
- If you’re not at home, better hide your mosquito trap in a damp, dark place, for instance, a kitchen, a utility room, or a bathroom. This way, the traps will get the most effect.
- Have an outdoor mosquito trap that uses stagnant water or soil as a lure? Better place it within at least 25 ft from human activity to wean pests off.
- Do not use mosquito traps with chemical attractants in houses with small children and pets. Such lure can be highly toxic for humans and animals, especially during long-term exposure.
- If you use a mosquito trap overnight in your bedroom, put it as far from your bed as possible – otherwise, pests will be attracted to you.
- Clean the mosquito collecting tray once in 2-4 weeks: during this time, they will die from dehydration. If you open the device more frequently than once a week, you can let some insects out, and they may escape.
How Safe Is Mosquito Trap For People?
It depends on the type of device used. While mosquito traps with UV lights without chemical baits are totally safe for the whole family, the models with Octenol or Lurex3 baits can emit dangerous chemicals. This is a bad choice for houses with pets and children and should be used outside only. According to mosquito trap reviews, the insect killers with carbon dioxide are quite safe even if they’re being exploited indoors. Some mosquito traps kill insects with an electric charge: those shouldn’t be used in houses with small kids and pets because they can eventually get hit, too. Don’t worry: such electric charge isn’t strong enough to hurt them, but it’s simply unpleasant.
Do Mosquito Traps Make A Lot Of Noise Or Produce Bad Odors?
When it comes to the noise level, it depends on the model of a mosquito trap. Typically, small indoor insect traps have fans that produce up to 40 dB of noise (you can sleep with this noise in the background). Larger outdoor models can produce stronger humming. If you need a silent mosquito trap, you can buy a model without a fan – pests will be caught on the sticky board instead.
While mosquito traps with UV lights without bait produce no smell, the models with attractant can emit odors. For example, the above-mentioned traps with Octenol and Lurex3 baits can emit a chemical smell. The traps that emit carbon dioxide can also produce a light smell, but it won’t disturb you. Outdoor traps that use stagnant water and other natural materials tend to be very smelly – place them far from human activity.
Where Should I Place My Mosquito Trap?
When you use an insect killer indoors, try to place it in dark places. The further from your activity – the better. It’s especially important in bedrooms when you leave a device overnight. Want to get maximum out of your best mosquito trap for yard? Place it in a damp, dark corner – beneficial conditions for insects will surely attract a huge number of pests.
Can My Mosquito Trap Be Operated In All Weather Conditions?
A: It depends on the materials it’s made of. Plastic mosquito traps will easily withstand rain, while metal ones are likely to rust. Check out whether the lights are insulated well: if not, store your mosquito trap indoors during rains and storms.
Note that before the rain, mosquitoes fly low above the earth, and tend to invade houses more often. If you see the dark clouds gathering outdoors, it’s time to switch the trap on.
How Soon Can I Expect To See Results From My Mosquito Trap?
A: It depends on the degree of infestation. If you don’t have many insects around, the situation will change to the better in a few days. Manufacturers claim that their mosquito traps eliminate insects within 2-4 weeks.
How to find out whether a mosquito trap is efficient enough? Clean the tray after 2 weeks of use: if there are tens of caught insects, it does its job well. As a rule, one month is enough to decide whether the mosquito trap lives up to your expectations. Sometimes the traps appear to be useful against other flying insects, but not mosquitoes. In such case, you should consider changing a model.
How Often Should I Operate And Clean My Mosquito Trap?
A mosquito trap can be used as often as you want unless it utilizes some chemical attractants. As a rule, users switch their mosquito traps in the evening and leave them overnight on a daily basis. This is an optimal solution that allows you to keep the space free of pests. Mosquito traps that emit odor would be equally efficient during day and night.
According to the best mosquito trap consumer reports, an insect killer should be cleaned once in two-three weeks. This way, you will make sure that all insects inside are already desiccated and dead. If you have a heavy mosquito infestation and the mosquito trap works well, catching lots of them during every use, clean the device more frequently (every time when it is full). Note that you don’t have to use any heavy chemicals to clean the collection tray: tap water with soap will be enough.
===> Find Even More Related Good Ideas ===>
Other Garden Enthusiast Are Reading:
- 11 Things You Should Know About Backpack Sprayer Before Buying One: The Guide To Safety, Selection And Maintenance 2022
- Best Tips On Herbicides Usage And Selection – All You Need To Know Before Application FAQs 2022
- The 10 Best Roach Killers Reviewed 2022: Get Rid Of The Nasty Bugs Safely And Efficiently With The Tool Of Your Choice
✅ Outdoor Garden Design And Tips
- Garden Planner Bundle With Useful Tips, Planting Guides And Cheat Sheet For Beginners And Avid Gardeners Alike – Get This Key Gardening Plan Tool Here!
- The 10 Best Potting Soil For Growing Healthy Plants Indoors Reviewed 2022 | Soil Mix, pH, Product Type
- Grow Your Own Food And Reduce Your Impact On The Environment 2022
✅ Indoor Design And Tips
- The Best Grow Box To Cultivate As A Pro Reviewed 2022: Incubate Your Perfect Indoor Greenery Garden
- Add A Burst Of Colour: The Hydrangea Colour Wheel Dining Sets
- Why Buying A Home Could Make All The Difference
✅ Even More Great Products
- What You Need To Know About Traveling Sprinkler – Types, Use, Precautions FAQs 2022
- 9 Things You Need To Know In Using A Riding Lawn Mower: Ultimate Guide To Safety And Efficiency 2022
- The Best Amazon Prime Day Gardening Deals For Families To Get Your Hands On 2022: Everything From Lawn, Plants And Furniture That Are Too Good To Miss
✅ Sustainable Lifestyle Products And Tips