Going Local: How Eating Close To Home Is Good For You And The Environment 2022
For many years, I would drive to my small-town grocery store and buy food for my family and myself. I had no idea I was utterly naïve to the atrocities and perils of industrial agriculture.
I couldn’t understand what was so terrible with an enterprise that supplied our nation with cheap, inexpensive food right in the aisles of our local grocery stores at the time.
The burgeoning local food movement, on the other hand, has drastically altered my perception of who has our back when it comes to supplying us with nutritious, sustainable food.
I’ll never forget the first time I read Michael Pollan’s book “In Defense of Food: An Eater’s Manifesto.” It was like my eyes and mind were awoken to a world I never knew existed, and that world was right outside in the roots of the earth around me.
For years, we have been eating food that has been stripped of its essential nutrients and packed in wrappers and boxes. This meal not only makes us unhealthy, but it also makes us ill. It would be wonderful to assume that our government would shield us from such calamity, but due to the USDA, industrial agriculture is one hugely protected colossus.
Through self-study and research, I’ve discovered that eating locally not only improves access to healthy, affordable greens and meats, but it also helps reduce the cost of food transportation, boosts our local economies, reduces international shipping costs, and lowers the cost of packaging and processing industrial food.
Consider these three areas for obtaining local vegetables and meats if you want to go more local.
Many people complain that they can’t get farm-fresh food in their towns, but I can nearly guarantee that they’re not trying hard enough. Farms may be found all throughout the country, and it’s probable that one is near to you.
Farmers markets allow each of us to interact with the people who source our food, allowing us to know who to hold responsible for the quality of our cuisine. It’s difficult to determine who to hold responsible for the food we buy at the grocery store, particularly when the manufacturer is relatively unknown.
So, do yourself a favor and go to your local farmers market to learn about the people who are feeding you and your family.
Community gardens may be difficult to find since they need a larger group of people to operate them, and many people do not want to make that kind of commitment. Examine local churches, schools, neighborhoods, and community organizations to discover whether there is a garden in your town or city.
If this is the case, look into how you may become engaged in planting, cultivating, and consuming the food that grows there. If you can’t locate one, it could be a good idea to gather a group of people and develop your own community garden.
Sure, it’ll be a little chaotic at first to find an open piece of land and pay for seeds, but the benefits of creating a communal garden are both unlimited and delicious.
There is a method to produce food in the comfort of your own home, believe it or not. If you have some suitable ground to plant on, you should think about putting in a garden in your backyard. The care isn’t difficult, and once the garden is established, you’ll be able to use it for years to come.
Many individuals dread establishing gardens because they are unsure how to develop one or maintain the greens that grow in them. To put it bluntly, it is unforgivable. The quantity of materials accessible to folks who want to develop a home garden is ridiculous.
And if you don’t have a garden, there’s no reason you can’t buy tiny pots or herb gardens to help you produce food inside.
We may sometimes enhance the environment simply by making tiny modifications. Going local with your meals can benefit both your health and the environment.
Find out more about green living and its benefits here.
===> Find Even More Related Good Ideas ===>
Other Garden Enthusiast Are Reading:
- 10 Best Rear Tine Tiller Compared And Reviewed 2022: Breaking New Ground Without A Hitch
- Best 10 Herbicide Of 2022 For Maintaining A Clean & Healthy Yard Reviewed
- All You Need To Know Before Your Garden Sprayer Purchase: The Essential And Convenient Plant Maintenance Tool FAQs 2022
✅ Outdoor Garden Design And Tips
- The Ultimate Guide To Budgie Aviary Set Up: Save Cost And Time 2022
- Encouraging Children To Save Our Environment: Start Eco Education At Young Age For Better Future 2022
- How to Choose Potting Soil? Beginner’s Guide To Planting Basics 2022
✅ Indoor Design And Tips
- Why Buying A Home Could Make All The Difference
- The Best Grow Box To Cultivate As A Pro Reviewed 2022: Incubate Your Perfect Indoor Greenery Garden
- How To Plan Garden Storage Sheds? Tips You Have To Know Before Your Purchase 2022
✅ Even More Great Products
- Top 10 Garden Sprayer Reviewed For Pros And All 2022: Find Your Best Fit And Maintain Your Garden At Ease
- How To Use Weed killers – The Essential Guide For Beginners 2022
- Best Backpack Sprayer 2022: Complete Buyer’s Guide For Fertilizers, Herbicides & Pesticides
✅ Sustainable Lifestyle Products And Tips
- How To Make Your Own Wind Power? 3 Steps To Harness Natures Best Energy Source 2022
- How To Create A Greener Garden Space: Ultimate Guide To Making Your Loved Outdoor Space Eco-Friendly 2022
- Do Solar Panels Make For A Sensible Investment For Your Home? All The Benefits And Various Charges You Need To Know 2022