A common reason for keeping a bird as a pet is to try and teach it to talk. Some types of bird are better than others, with the mynah bird and the African Grey parrot high up the list, but a lot of birds will learn to talk if trained patiently, especially if from young. You could take the easy route and buy one that already talks but then it may say things you are not especially fond of and in some cases may not pick up new words as readily, at least for a while, from you as his new teacher.
Shortcut To Great Info On This Page
Work Directly With Them
The best way to teach a bird to talk is to work directly with him.
Make It Simple
Start with simple words or phrases, and from as young an age as possible.
Calm And Higher Tones
Always use the same, calm tone of voice and repeat the word every time you deal with him. Birds seem to react well to words with the letter R in them, e.g. pretty bird. A higher tone than normal helps avoid bass tones in your voice, which some birds seem not to learn so easily from.
Signs Of Practising
You may find after a short time that the bird is sitting seemingly making noises under his breath and this is usually a sign that he is practising the new sounds prior to trying them out loud. That’s a good sign.
Rooting Out Bad Words
a bad practice is to swear or show too much emotion in your voice as the bird will inevitably pick up on it and you will find he suddenly starts repeating words you didn’t want him to. Should this be the case, to dissuade him ignore him completely and only praise him or give him lots of attention when he uses the words you prefer. This actually works in many cases.
If the bird doesn’t take to speaking, whistling is another alternative, from which the bird will soon pick up whole songs or melodies.
Other Garden Carers Are Reading:
- 10 Best Riding Lawn Mower For Hills: Reliable & Effective Brands To Take Care Of Your Yard 2021
- The 10 Best Roach Killers Reviewed 2021: Get Rid Of The Nasty Bugs Safely And Efficiently With The Tool Of Your Choice
- The 10 Best Chipper Shredders Models Reviewed 2021: Find Your Most Suitable Option To Recycle And Compost
✅ Outdoor Garden Design And Tips
- How To Add An Outdoor Gym In Your Own Garden 2021
- Enjoy Summer Barbeque With Grill Smoker Combo: BBQ Lover’s Guide Before Purchase 2021
- Animals And Pests Keep Intruding Your Garden? Add Fence Spikes To Your Fencing To Keep Them Out: Garden Protection Guide 2021
✅ Home Design And Tips
- The Loud And Clear Reminder To Get House Insurance 2021
- Add A Burst Of Colour: The Hydrangea Colour Wheel Dining Sets
- How to Select The Right Roman Blinds For Your Home: Your Perfect Interior Curtain Guide 2021
✅ Garden Care Products
- 12 Things You Need To Pay Attention To Before Buying Or Using A Chipper Shredder: The Ultimate Safety Tips And FAQs 2021
- Find The Best Cordless Leaf Blower 2021: Convenient Leaf Cleaning And Removal Tools Reviewed
- 10 Best Rear Tine Tiller Compared And Reviewed 2021: Breaking New Ground Without A Hitch
✅ Sustainable Living Products And Tips
- Do Solar Panels Make for a Sensible Investment for your Home?
- Encouraging Children to Save Our Environment
- Grow Your Own Food and Reduce Your Impact on the Environment
✅ Plant Care And Products
- All About The Healing Plant Birch/Betula Verrucosa 2021 | Benefits, Uses, Remedies, Cures & Side-Effects
- The Best Skin Care Herb – Centella Asiatica: The Benefits & Home Medicinal Remedies 2021
- Drought Tips
✅ Bird Care
- What Can Parrots Eat Or Not Eat? Find The Best Safe Fruits and Vegetables For Healthy Bird Diet 2021
- Top Environment and Cage Tips For Parrot Owners: How To Make Your Parrot Comfortable At Home 2021
- What Household Toxic Chemicals Are Poisonous To Pet Birds & Parrots? Harmful Hazards To Avoid For Feathered Friends 2021
✅ Decluttering Tips