Shortcut To Great Info On This Page
- 1 What Is A Traveling Sprinkler?
- 2 What Are The Different Types Of Lawn Sprinklers?
- 3 What Are The Critical Traveling Sprinkler Parts & Components?
- 4 How to Purchase a Perfect Traveling Sprinkler?
- 5 Fast Facts About Traveling Sprinklers
- 6 How To Use A Traveling Sprinkler?
- 7 Traveling Sprinkler: Safety Rules and Other Tips
- 8 What are the Precautions When Using A Traveling Sprinkler?
- 9 How Far Can A Travelling Sprinkler Spray?
- 10 How To Clean And Maintain Travelling Sprinkler?
- 11 Why Won’t My Traveling Sprinkler Move?
- 12 How Much Water Pressure I Need For My Traveling Sprinkler?
- 13 What Is The Flow Of Water Of Traveling Sprinkler?
What Is A Traveling Sprinkler?
This is an irreplaceable device for all owners of medium and large backyards. How does a traveling sprinkler work? Unlike a stationary sprinkler that’s typically connected to a garden hose, a traveling sprinkler works autonomously and moves all around the area. In other words, a traveling sprinkler reminds of a tractor and moves independently on any even surface. It allows for efficient watering and sustaining of sole moisture.
What Are The Different Types Of Lawn Sprinklers?
Why choosing a traveling device? Compare the types of lawn sprinklers.
- Oscillating Sprinklers
These models have a long tube with several holes inside: water goes through these holes, and the pressure makes tube swing back and forth. Although it’s a convenient solution, oscillating sprinklers may not water lawns too far enough. They require the correct placement – once you figure out the perfect location, you will cover a large area easily.
- Rotary & Stationary Sprinklers
Those models have one spinning head and several sprinkler holes: the head spins, and the water is distributed in a circular pattern. As a rule, stationary sprinklers have several sprinkling patterns for specific areas. This is an optimal variant for small lawns, so if you have a large or a long lawn, this is not the best solution. Besides, such models usually work under low pressure.
- Traveling Sprinklers
A traveling lawn sprinkler is a machine that works autonomously and moves around the lawn to water the entire area evenly. Such sprinkles require much pressure to operate. They are designed for large lawns. The only situation when you should not consider such device is if you have pets who might see it as something to chase.
- Impact Sprinklers
In such construction, pressure rises inside and forces water through the spray head. It can cover a partial area or a full circle around it. The main problem of such sprinklers is that they don’t operate well in conditions of low pressure. Besides, they aren’t suitable for freshly-seeded ground. This type of sprinkles is often used in parks and large lawns.
- In-Ground Sprinklers
If you’re okay with an unmovable sprinkler for your small lawn, an in-ground device will be great. Such sprinkles are buried underground and are attached to a hose when needed. The main disadvantage is that in-ground sprinklers are meant to stand in one place, and you may need several of them.
What Are The Critical Traveling Sprinkler Parts & Components?
The traveling sprinkler system can seem to be a bit complicated. The main unit is meant to be attached to a garden hose. The machine itself reminds of a small tractor with two rear wheels, and one front wheel. The rear wheels feature thorns for better passing ability on grass, soil, or sand. The front wheel rotates through the pipe, while limiters don’t let it move to the side.
The sprinkler is placed on the top, and it emits a torrent of water in different directions. The sprayer is adjustable: you can regulate its angle (it can cover 10-55 feet). In some models, the head and speed are adjusted, as well. There’s no additional equipment required for a traveling sprinkler to move – it doesn’t need electricity and can be placed on any site. Such equipment is driven by pressure. For this reason, traveling sprinkler repair and maintenance is pretty simple.
How to Purchase a Perfect Traveling Sprinkler?
There are a few things to be considered to buy an efficient and reliable traveling sprinkler tractor for your lawn.
- Warranty And Maintenance
The vast majority of machine manufacturers provide at least 1-year warranty for their production. Beware of the brands that don’t give any guarantees: you won’t be able to get your money back in case of malfunctions and damages. The longer warranty is, the longer you’ll be able to have the device repaired or replaced for free.
As soon as the warranty period is over, you’ll have to maintain the device on your own. If you’re tech-savvy enough, you can choose any construction. If not, select a traveling sprinkler that’s simple in care: it should have a non-complicated construction, and the process of assembly should be a no brainer
- Lawn Size
What you should consider is the area of your lawn, as well as the evenness of the ground. Modern traveling sprinklers can reach up to 200 inches by spraying water to 10-55 feet. The larger your lawn is, the higher this variable should be. If you have a huge lawn, find a special large area traveling sprinkler that can work with longer hoses and lower pressure.
Note that if you have a lawn with small hills that hinder movement, you should rather select a traveling sprinkler with large wheels: they will easily overcome every twist and turn. For perfectly even terrain, sprinklers with small wheels will do.
- Sprinkler Quality & Materials
We get what we pay for. If you want a machine that will serve you for years, spare extra bucks for a reliable sprinkler made of cast iron, and it will serve you for 10 years or even more. Alternatively, constructions made of stainless steel can be used. Cheap plastic machines are not suitable for heavy-duty work.
- Water Pressure
As a rule, traveling sprinklers require a high pressure to operate normally: they’re driven by it. If you have weak pipe pressure, you will need to make a thorough research to find a suitable model.
- Durability and Easy Repair
We all want to use durable and long-lasting techniques. In order to find a worthy model, read user reviews on independent websites, and don’t hesitate to ask people their opinion about this or that sprinkler. It will help you to make the right choice. Traveling sprinklers have pretty much the same construction, but if you don’t have any technical knowledge, choose the model that would be easy in maintenance. One look at the user manual will be enough for you to understand whether you’ll be able to handle a machine.
Fast Facts About Traveling Sprinklers
- Modern traveling sprinklers work thanks to water propulsion: they don’t need electricity because the motor is activated by the pressure instead.
- Excessive use of lawn sprinklers can make lawn too moisturized and wash fertilizers away.
- The best time for watering lawn is between 5 AM and 10 AM because you’ll face less water evaporation.
- During cold winters, a yardworks traveling sprinkler should be stored at home to avoid damage to its spare parts.
- Most traveling sprinklers are made of cast iron to stay weather resistant.
How To Use A Traveling Sprinkler?
Here are the basic steps for using a traveling water sprinkler correctly.
- Assemble the unit. As a rule, the mechanism and the cover are delivered non-assembled, but you won’t have any problems attaching them to one another.
- Insert the arms to the spray head and tighten them to fix in the right place. Point arms to set up the required spray coverage. For example, they can be bent low to cover a 15 ft area or face up to water 55 ft of area. Tilt the arms to that they wouldn’t touch the base.
- Attach the water hose to the unit and lay out the watering path – a sprinkler will follow it going exactly the length of the hose. Make turns smooth for the traveling water sprinkler to stay on the track. To prevent kinking, the end of the garden pipe should be attached to the sprinkler with a 3 ft loop.
- Place the shut-off ramp at the place where you want the sprinkler to stop. Some ramps feature spikes to fit in the place better.
- Put the sprinkler on the top of the hose so that its front wheel would be on it within the grooves, and the back wheels would be on either side of the hose.
- Set the speed of sprinkler. Note that “neutral�? mode means sprinkler stops and waters in one spot. Now pull the stopper on the bottom of the machine, and turn the faucet to supply water.
- As soon as sprinkler finishes working, lay out a new path, or detach the hose. Unscrew the hose a bit to reduce the pressure, if the stopper on the bottom doesn’t pull down.
Traveling Sprinkler: Safety Rules and Other Tips
Even if you have the best traveling sprinkler, there are some things to consider:
- Don’t go overboard with watering. If you deep-water plants every day, they can rot and lack oxygen. The best time for watering – in the morning, the worst – overnight.
- Keep pressure in the range of 40-60 psi.
- Make sure there are no barriers to the sprinkler’s way. Otherwise, it will get stuck.
- Note that extreme weather conditions can harm the sprinkler, so observe it after storms or rains.
- Lack of lubrication can cause the breaking of the system.
What are the Precautions When Using A Traveling Sprinkler?
Keep the pressure within the recommended limit of 40-60 psi. Make sure there are no hindrances on the sprinkler’s way. Keep children and pets away from it.
How Far Can A Travelling Sprinkler Spray?
The vast majority of traditional sprinklers have spray coverage up to 50 feet. Industrial ones have spray coverage of 100 ft and more.
How To Clean And Maintain Travelling Sprinkler?
Wash the wheels with clean water, and lubricate the mechanism components from time to time (according to the best traveling sprinkler reviews, it should be done once in 1-2 months). No special cleaning agents are required. Store your sprinkler away from direct sunlight.
Why Won’t My Traveling Sprinkler Move?
There are three main explanations for that. First, there isn’t enough water pressure in the hose and the flow of water should be stronger. Secondly, the sprinkler has some hindrance on its way, or the hose angle is too sharp for it to turn. Thirdly, the sprinkler mechanism is damaged or assembled in the wrong way. In this case, you should examine the machine thoroughly and make sure all connections are correct.
How Much Water Pressure I Need For My Traveling Sprinkler?
Most traveling sprinklers require the pressure of 40-60 psi to be up and running.
What Is The Flow Of Water Of Traveling Sprinkler?
This flow goes from the garden hose attached directly to the sprinkler. In other words, the sprinkler drags the hose underwater pressure and distributes water over your lawn.
Other Garden Carers Are Reading:
- Where Do You Put Your Coffee On A Garden Bench? The Solution To Quality Self-Time
- Best 10 Herbicide Of 2021 For Maintaining A Clean & Healthy Yard Reviewed
- The Best Backpack Sprayers 2021: The Complete Buyer’s Guide Compared And Reviewed For Fertilizers, Herbicides And Pesticides
✅ Outdoor Garden Design And Tips
- Protection From Outdoor Weather: The Buying Guide On Grill Cover and Grill Maintenance 2021
- 10 Best Portable Hot Tub Reviewed 2021: Enjoy Inflatable SPA Procedures Right At Home
- 5 Factors To Consider When Decorating Your Outdoor Space 2021: Make Your Garden Furniture Reflect Your Personal Style
✅ Home Design And Tips
- Bring The Wonders Of The Garden Into Your Own Bedroom: Ideas To Make Over Your Room 2021
- Love Your Garden Possessions? Protect Your Prized Garden Furniture With Home Insurance 2021
- How to Select The Right Roman Blinds For Your Home: Your Perfect Interior Curtain Guide 2021
✅ Garden Care Products
- How to Get the Best Results While Using a Roach Killer? All You Need To Know in Getting Rid Of Bugs FAQs 2021
- The 10 Best Potting Soil For Growing Healthy Plants Indoors Reviewed 2021 | Soil Mix, pH, Product Type
- Find The Best Cordless Leaf Blower 2021: Convenient Leaf Cleaning And Removal Tools Reviewed
✅ Sustainable Living Products And Tips
- Grow Your Own Food and Reduce Your Impact on the Environment
- Do Solar Panels Make for a Sensible Investment for your Home?
- Encouraging Children to Save Our Environment
✅ Plant Care And Products
- The Best Grow Box To Cultivate As A Pro Reviewed 2021: Incubate Your Perfect Indoor Greenery Garden
- Bring The Wonders Of The Garden Into Your Own Bedroom: Ideas To Make Over Your Room 2021
- The Medicinal Periwinkle Or Dwarf Periwinkle 2021 | Facts, Uses, Remedies, Cures & Side-Effects
✅ Bird Care
- Tips For Choosing A High-Quality Birdcage 2021: Make Your Birds Comfortable At Home
- What Household Toxic Chemicals Are Poisonous To Pet Birds & Parrots? Harmful Hazards To Avoid For Feathered Friends 2021
- Top Environment and Cage Tips For Parrot Owners: How To Make Your Parrot Comfortable At Home 2021
✅ Decluttering Tips