If you’re ready to go toe-to-toe with bugs this summer, you can do it in a safe and natural way by manufacturing your own insect spray. Aside from keeping annoying bugs at bay, there are various more reasons why you should create it rather than purchasing it.
For starters, homemade insect sprays are better for your skin since they don’t include the harsh chemicals found in commercial bug sprays–DEET, anyone? Furthermore, since essential oils and herbs are utilized to manufacture them, homemade insect sprays smell nicer.
Bug sprays made from a few basic chemicals are not only healthier for you, but also healthier for the environment. According to research, commercial sprays aren’t only hazardous to the bugs they’re meant to repel–they’re also dangerous to any animal or plant life that comes into contact with them.
If the reasons listed above aren’t enough to persuade you to produce your own insect spray for a pet and kid-friendly home, the following article will lead you through the simple steps.
Suggestions for Choosing Ingredients
Making your own bug spray has the advantage of allowing you to mix and match components depending on personal tastes or simply what ingredients you have on hand at the time you wish to manufacture insect spray.
A bug spray base may be made from a variety of ingredients, including witch hazel, rubbing alcohol, vodka, or vinegar.
While any of these bases will work, witch hazel is the most often used. As a result, witch hazel is the basis of the recipes listed below.
Next, pick whether you want to include essential oils or herbs in your insect spray, and then choose which oils or herbs to integrate into your mixture. Lemongrass, citronella, lavender, patchouli, eucalyptus, cedar, geranium, tea tree, peppermint, and clove are the most effective essential oils for DIY insect spray.
Any mix of catnip, lavender, peppermint, clove, parsley, rosemary, and garlic will function as herbs. The recipes in this article indicate specific oils or herbs to use as a recommendation only. Keep in mind that they are entirely interchangeable and may be replaced or substituted as desired.
Recipe for Essential Oil Bug Spray
Fill a clean spray container halfway with witch hazel to prepare essential oil insect spray. Add fifteen drops of lemongrass oil, ten drops of eucalyptus oil, ten drops of lavender oil, ten drops of patchouli oil, and five drops of geranium oil, followed by an equal quantity of distilled water.
The more essential oils you add, the stronger your insect spray will be. If the essential oils are too strong for you at first, try fewer drops until you get acclimated to their potency. After you’ve done adding the essential oils, give the bottle a good shake to combine the components, then label and use.
Recipe for Herbal Bug Spray
If you want to prepare insect spray using fresh or dried herbs, start by adding one cup of water into a small saucepan and heating it to a boil. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in one tablespoon of fresh or dried catnip, lavender, rosemary, and peppermint.
Allow the herbs to soak for about thirty minutes, covered. Line a colander with cheesecloth, set it inside a big bowl, and strain the mixture through it to remove the herbs. After a brief cooling time, fill a clean spray container halfway with the herb-infused water using a funnel. Fill the remaining space in the bottle with witch hazel, shake, and label for use.
While homemade bug spray is efficient at repelling a wide range of insects, it must be used more often than commercial sprays. Because homemade spray lacks the powerful ingredients present in store-bought sprays, it does not stay as long.
As a result, apply a large dose of insect spray to your whole body every half hour, or as required, to keep the pests at bay.
If you want to use a bug spray that hurts bugs rather than your eyes and skin, DIY bug spray is the way to go. This season, arm yourself with a bug spray that is safe, effective, and pleasing to the senses, and you’ll be able to enjoy the great outdoors without having to deal with pesky pests.
===> Find Even More Related Good Ideas ===>
Other Garden Enthusiast Are Reading:
- Chipper Shredder Reviews 2022 – Best Electric Yard Machines For Composting
- All You Need To Know Before Your Garden Sprayer Purchase: The Essential And Convenient Plant Maintenance Tool FAQs 2022
- Best Tips On Herbicides Usage And Selection – All You Need To Know Before Application FAQs 2022
✅ Outdoor Garden Design And Tips
- Top Environment And Cage Tips For Parrot Owners: How To Make Your Parrot Comfortable At Home 2022
- The Best Bee Suit 2022: Find An Ideal Combination Of Comfort And Protection
- How To Create A Greener Garden Space: Ultimate Guide To Making Your Loved Outdoor Space Eco-Friendly 2022
✅ Indoor Design And Tips
- Beginner’s Guide to Indoor Grow Box Before Purchase: Sustainable Cultivation Secrets at Home or in Office FAQs 2022
- The Best Mosquito Trap 2022 Reviewed: Keeping Pests At Bay By Baiting Them According To Your Needs
- How To Choose The Right Log Cabin For Any Garden? (2022)
✅ Even More Great Products
- 10 Best Portable Hot Tub Reviewed 2022: Enjoy Inflatable SPA Procedures Right At Home
- Make Your Summer Fantastic: Choose The Best Combo Smoker Grill 2022 For Family Barbeque
- Top 10 Garden Sprayer Reviewed For Pros And All 2022: Find Your Best Fit And Maintain Your Garden At Ease
✅ Sustainable Lifestyle Products And Tips