Shortcut To Great Info On This Page
- 1 What is a Garden Hose Reel?
- 2 What Are The Different Types Of Garden Hose Reel?
- 3 What Are The Benefits Of Using A Garden Hose Reel?
- 4 How To Choose The Best Garden Hose Reel?
- 5 Interesting Facts About Garden Hose Reels
- 6 How To Use Garden Hose Reels?
- 7 How To Hook Up Garden Hose Reel?
- 8 How To Set Up Garden Hose Reel?
- 9 How To Use A Garden Hose Reel?
- 10 How To Roll Up A Garden Hose On A Reel?
- 11 How To Attach A Garden Hose To A Hose Reel?
- 12 Do Mobile Garden Hose Reels Tip-Over Easily?
- 13 Do All Garden Hose Reels Hold All Different Types Of Hoses?
What is a Garden Hose Reel?
With the help of this device, you can water the backyard greenery more efficiently and faster. However, after use, you need to find a place for storage. A garden pipe reel is the smartest option for it. The models with a length-lock tool and automatic retraction can save your time and space.
What Are The Different Types Of Garden Hose Reel?
There are three main kinds of devices:
These constructions are fixed to the horizontal or vertical surface with bolts and other hardware. Some of them have trays for storage of other garden stuff. 50% of wall-mounted devices are an automatic garden hose reel.
Carts are equipped with wheels and are mobile: this is a nice option for large gardens or short pipes. You can put it anywhere to water the plants all over the backyard.
These models are similar to carts, but they are not equipped with wheels, e.g. it’s not mobile. Such an option is used when you have the water source located in the middle of the backyard.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Garden Hose Reel?
Why do you need a top rated garden hose reel for your backyard?
- Versatility. Such a device can be used to keep any type of hose and fits any garden well.
- Safety. Having hose stored in one place, you eliminate the risk of stumbling across it. Your dog won’t chew it, and you won’t lose it accidentally.
- Smart Storage Solution. Instead of coiling up the hose manually, you can retract the hose using the reel. It’s fast and convenient. Besides, the pipe will be protected against cold, moisture, and sunrays. Some wall-mounted reels are equipped with a plastic case for better protection.
- Hose Maintenance. Using a reel, you protect the hose against weather and damage caused by stepping on it and direct sunlight.
How To Choose The Best Garden Hose Reel?
What to pay attention to when you’re choosing a suitable model? The following aspects should be taken into consideration:
- Length of Hose
Choose the model that can accommodate the hose you typically use. As a rule, the minimal hose length capacity is 50 feet, while some models are designed for storing hoses 100-200 feet long. As a rule, self-standing hose reels have more capacity than their wall-installed analogs.
Here, you should read the review and look what the model is made of. Plastic reels tend to be less damage-proof than their metal analogs. However, if you buy a metal construction, make sure that it has coating that prevents rusting and decay. Brass hose fittings are the most durable ones and are used in the vast majority of reel models.
- Portable Or Nonportable?
If you have a small garden, a wall-mounted non-portable model would suit it well. Owners of large gardens are recommended portable reels, including carts and stand-alone models – they allow for reaching all zones in your backyard.
- Retractable Garden Hose Reels
Some hose reels are equipped with automatic retraction feature. It’s highly convenient! Instead of turning the hand crank manually, you can have the hose coiled up in a few seconds.
A self-winding garden hose reel is perfect for storage and expands 3 times of its original size.
Interesting Facts About Garden Hose Reels
- Piston driven garden hose reels allow for fast automatic retraction – it’s the best option for long hoses.
- Commercial and personal use hose reels are different things – they are in separate categories.
- The main killer of garden pipes is direct sunlight.
- Typically, most hose reels are produced from steel and plastic – they don’t rust and withstand weather fluctuations.
- Garden hoses originated from firefighting pipes.
How To Use Garden Hose Reels?
To use your garden hose reel properly, follow the guidelines below.
- If you want to prolong the service life of a heavy duty garden hose reel, do not install it in the places exposed to direct sunlight and precipitations. Both accelerate the decay of plastic and metal covering.
- The pipe dimensions are important: if the pipe length is more than the reel’s capacity, it’s likely to be damaged or twisted, which will result in cracks. Make sure that the pipe has a suitable structure, diameter and length. If it’s too long, you can cut a piece of it straight (not in angle).
- When using the hose, do not pull it too strongly. Otherwise, it can be broken together with the retraction mechanism.
- When cleaning both hose and the reel, do not use any harsh chemicals. Wiping the device with a damp piece of clothing is enough.
- If mounting hardware is included in the package, do not use your own bolts and nuts instead – they can appear to be not strong enough to hold the construction.
- When taking care of metal garden hose reels, you can finish the coating with anti-rust chemical sprays – it will prolong the life of the covering.
- A wall-mounted garden hose reel should be installed on the outside wall of your backyard in a place where it’s unlikely to be damaged.
How To Hook Up Garden Hose Reel?
If the hardware isn’t included, you will need to buy bolts. It’s better to mount the reel on concrete or brick walls to hold the weight better. Mark the points for drilling on the wall, drill the holes, insert expansion bolt shields inside. Press The device to the wall according to the markings, and drill the bolts in. To perform this task, you’ll need an assistant: one person should be holding the reel while another is drilling.
How To Set Up Garden Hose Reel?
For the wall-installed models, you can repeat the procedure described above: it’s attached on the wall with the help of screws. Stand-alone constructions can be simply put on the ground or concrete near the faucet. Carts are also simply dragged to the desired place – no additional set up procedures are required.
How To Use A Garden Hose Reel?
The process of exploitation isn’t challenging if you know how to attach it to the water supply system. This step-by-step instruction is here to help:
- Place the rubber washer in the coupler for the spigot. This way, you will avoid leaking. You can stretch the hose manually to make it less tight and allow pressure to distribute evenly.
- Attach the female tip of your hose to the source of water. The male end is connected to the watering nozzle.
- Turn on the water and let water pressure rise gradually. Pull out the pipe and start watering plants. You can fix the length of the hose – some models are equipped with the locking system.
- As soon as you finish watering, turn off the water and drain out its remains. Retract the hose using either the automatic function or the hand crank. Ideally, the reel should be stored away from direct sunlight and rain – bad weather conditions can trigger decay.
How To Roll Up A Garden Hose On A Reel?
Unpack the hose and straighten it to check for damage and eliminate bending. How to make a garden hose reel easier to use? You can place the hose on the sun – it will become softer and easier to wind onto the reel. Attach the female hose end to the water supply hose (the process is described below). Start winding the hose onto the reel drum: feed it by smooth motions making even coils through the drum. As a rule, clockwise rotation is required for that. You can grip the hose with one hand as another is being used for turning the reel. If you have a self-winding garden hose reel, activate automatic retraction instead.
How To Attach A Garden Hose To A Hose Reel?
Insert the washer into the bottom of female end hose coupling. Make sure the coupling is sealed to prevent leaking. If there’s a guide opening, insert the hose through the guide opening. Thread the female end into the water coupling to the inner drum. Tight it with channel-type pliers firmly, but not too strong to avoid breaking the parts.
Do Mobile Garden Hose Reels Tip-Over Easily?
It depends on the construction. Cheap plastic carts with low pipe capacity can tip over when being moved over uneven surfaces, such as hills and overgrown backyard. In other cases, it does not happen. The size of wheels also plays a crucial role: the bigger wheels are, the steadier the cart is.
Do All Garden Hose Reels Hold All Different Types Of Hoses?
Theoretically, you can wind the hose of any type on the reel. However, the couplings and hardware included are designed for certain types of hoses. Most models are made to accommodate 3/8-inch and 5/8-inch hoses. Some reels have hoses included in the kit.
Other Garden Carers Are Reading:
- Top 10 Garden Sprayer Reviewed For Pros And All 2021: Find Your Best Fit And Maintain Your Garden At Ease
- All You Need To Know Before Your Garden Sprayer Purchase: The Essential And Convenient Plant Maintenance Tool FAQs 2021
- The Best Backpack Sprayers 2021: The Complete Buyer’s Guide Compared And Reviewed For Fertilizers, Herbicides And Pesticides
✅ Outdoor Garden Design And Tips
- How To Choose The Right Log Cabin For Any Garden? (2021)
- Care & Maintenance Of Garden Furniture In A Snap 2021: Keeping Your Outdoor Space Good As New
- Make Your Summer Fantastic: Choose The Best Combo Smoker Grill 2021 For Family Barbeque
✅ Home Design And Tips
- Love Your Garden Possessions? Protect Your Prized Garden Furniture With Home Insurance 2021
- How to Select The Right Roman Blinds For Your Home: Your Perfect Interior Curtain Guide 2021
- Add A Burst Of Colour: The Hydrangea Colour Wheel Dining Sets
✅ Garden Care Products
- Find The Best Cordless Leaf Blower 2021: Convenient Leaf Cleaning And Removal Tools Reviewed
- Best 10 Herbicide Of 2021 For Maintaining A Clean & Healthy Yard Reviewed
- The Best Indoor and Outdoor Ant Killer Reviewed 2021: For Getting Rid Of Pests And Safety Tips
✅ Sustainable Living Products And Tips
- Small Steps to Save The Environment Even Your Children Can Do
- 15 Facts You Need To Know About Outdoor Solar Lights for Your Garden: The Essential Guide 2021
- Going Local: How Eating Close to Home is Good for You and the Environment
✅ Plant Care And Products
- The Medicinal Periwinkle Or Dwarf Periwinkle 2021 | Facts, Uses, Remedies, Cures & Side-Effects
- Everything You Need To Know About Viper’s Bugloss/Echium Vulgare 2021 | Benefits, Uses, Remedies, Cures & Side-Effects
- Beginner’s Guide to Indoor Grow Box Before Purchase: Sustainable Cultivation Secrets at Home or in Office FAQs 2021
✅ Bird Care
- Top Environment and Cage Tips For Parrot Owners: How To Make Your Parrot Comfortable At Home 2021
- What Can Parrots Eat Or Not Eat? Find The Best Safe Fruits and Vegetables For Healthy Bird Diet 2021
- Common Abnormal Behaviour In Birds: How To Take Care Of Your Parrots?
✅ Decluttering Tips