Overstocked and overpopulated koi fish ponds are very harmful to the fish. Too many fish will degrade the water quality very quickly. This will hasten the onset of disease amongst the koi.
Koi grow relatively quickly and to a large size. They spawn and fertilize usually in the spring of each year. You can sometimes detect when breeding is going to start:
- in male koi, white swellings similar to pimples appear near the gills and along the front edges of the pectoral fins (the fins at the lower front of the koi),
- in females, their bodies swell as they fill with eggs ready for laying.
There is no way to stop the reproductive cycle but at least you can be better prepared.
The problem of overpopulation comes down to removing the babies or fry, which can be accomplished using the following approach:
- As soon as you see that spawning has occurred, stop feeding the koi for about three weeks and let nature take its course. Basically, the adult koi will eat the fry. While this may seem cruel, it is natural and allowing it to happen allows the health of the remaining population to be maintained.
- As an option, removing the fry very early can be considered but as well as being difficult to do in practice in any case as they will usually be inaccessible if not almost invisible, it will be hard to find an outlet through which to relocate them.
- If the fry grows to a size where they resemble koi, then the adults will no longer see them as insects/food and at this point, the fry has to be removed for the benefit of the group.
- Local pet stores or zoos may take them off your hands.
- If there is a koi society in your area, they may be the best source of a new home for them.
Keeping an increased number of koi in the same environment can really damage all of them, so, cruel though part of the early steps may seem, it is one of the best options available.
===> Find Even More Related Good Ideas ===>
Other Garden Enthusiast Are Reading:
- Where Do You Put Your Coffee On A Garden Bench? The Solution To Quality Self-Time
- Top 10 Garden Sprayer Reviewed For Pros And All 2021: Find Your Best Fit And Maintain Your Garden At Ease
- Best Tips On Herbicides Usage And Selection – All You Need To Know Before Application FAQs 2021
✅ Outdoor Garden Design And Tips
- Best Pond Vacuums Reviewed 2021: The Most Complete Buyer’s Guide
- Gardens And Garden Ponds To Spruce Up The Property
- Free Customisable 3-Page Garden Planner Printable For Full Bloom All Year Round – The One Key To Garden Success 2021
✅ Indoor Design And Tips
- The Loud And Clear Reminder To Get House Insurance 2021
- 4 New Ideas To Make Better Use Of Your Trash: Get Crafty To Recycle And Reduce Waste 2021
- How To Get The Perfect Mosquito Trap? Everything You Need To Know: Types, Designs, Safety FAQs 2021
✅ Even More Great Products
- Troy-Bilt TB154 Electric Garden Cultivator And Tiller Review (2021)
- How to Get the Best Results While Using a Roach Killer? All You Need To Know in Getting Rid Of Bugs FAQs 2021
- Get To Know Your Leaf Blower: The Ultimate Guide To Keeping Your Lawn, Yard And Garden Clean 2021
✅ Sustainable Lifestyle Products And Tips