How To Deal With Overpopulation Of Koi Fish Ponds: Guide To Spot Breeding Season And Be Prepared 2022
Overstocked and overpopulated koi fish ponds are very harmful to the fish. Too many fish will degrade the water quality very quickly. This will hasten the onset of disease amongst the koi.
Koi grow relatively quickly and to a large size. They spawn and fertilize usually in the spring of each year. You can sometimes detect when breeding is going to start:
- in male koi, white swellings similar to pimples appear near the gills and along the front edges of the pectoral fins (the fins at the lower front of the koi),
- in females, their bodies swell as they fill with eggs ready for laying.
There is no way to stop the reproductive cycle but at least you can be better prepared.
The problem of overpopulation comes down to removing the babies or fry, which can be accomplished using the following approach:
- As soon as you see that spawning has occurred, stop feeding the koi for about three weeks and let nature take its course. Basically, the adult koi will eat the fry. While this may seem cruel, it is natural and allowing it to happen allows the health of the remaining population to be maintained.
- As an option, removing the fry very early can be considered but as well as being difficult to do in practice in any case as they will usually be inaccessible if not almost invisible, it will be hard to find an outlet through which to relocate them.
- If the fry grows to a size where they resemble koi, then the adults will no longer see them as insects/food and at this point, the fry has to be removed for the benefit of the group.
- Local pet stores or zoos may take them off your hands.
- If there is a koi society in your area, they may be the best source of a new home for them.
Keeping an increased number of koi in the same environment can really damage all of them, so, cruel though part of the early steps may seem, it is one of the best options available.
===> Find Even More Related Good Ideas ===>
Other Garden Enthusiast Are Reading:
- Best Ultrasonic Pest Repeller Review 2022 (For Outdoor/Electronic/Purizzy/Maxmoxie/Bed Bugs)
- Best Backpack Sprayer 2022: Complete Buyer’s Guide For Fertilizers, Herbicides & Pesticides
- Best 10 Herbicide Of 2022 For Maintaining A Clean & Healthy Yard Reviewed
✅ Outdoor Garden Design And Tips
- Encouraging Children To Save Our Environment: Start Eco Education At Young Age For Better Future 2022
- Top Environment And Cage Tips For Parrot Owners: How To Make Your Parrot Comfortable At Home 2022
- How To Create A Greener Garden Space: Ultimate Guide To Making Your Loved Outdoor Space Eco-Friendly 2022
✅ Indoor Design And Tips
- How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs At Home With Bed Bug Killer 2022: Fast And Permanent Solutions
- The Best Bed Bug Killer Spray 2022- Permanently And Quickly Get Rid Of Pest
- 4 New Ideas To Make Better Use Of Your Trash: Get Crafty To Recycle And Reduce Waste 2022
✅ Even More Great Products
- The 10 Best Potting Soil For Growing Healthy Plants Indoors Reviewed 2022 | Soil Mix, pH, Product Type
- 11 Things You Should Know About Backpack Sprayer Before Buying One: The Guide To Safety, Selection And Maintenance 2022
- How To Make Your Own Bug Spray?
✅ Sustainable Lifestyle Products And Tips