Overstocked and overpopulated koi fish ponds are very harmful to the fish. Too many fish will degrade the water quality very quickly. This will hasten the onset of disease amongst the koi.
Koi grow relatively quickly and to a large size. They spawn and fertilize usually in the spring of each year. You can sometimes detect when breeding is going to start:
- in male koi, white swellings similar to pimples appear near the gills and along the front edges of the pectoral fins (the fins at the lower front of the koi),
- in females, their bodies swell as they fill with eggs ready for laying.
There is no way to stop the reproductive cycle but at least you can be better prepared.
The problem of overpopulation comes down to removing the babies or fry, which can be accomplished using the following approach:
- As soon as you see that spawning has occurred, stop feeding the koi for about three weeks and let nature take its course. Basically, the adult koi will eat the fry. While this may seem cruel, it is natural and allowing it to happen allows the health of the remaining population to be maintained.
- As an option, removing the fry very early can be considered but as well as being difficult to do in practice in any case as they will usually be inaccessible if not almost invisible, it will be hard to find an outlet through which to relocate them.
- If the fry grows to a size where they resemble koi, then the adults will no longer see them as insects/food and at this point, the fry has to be removed for the benefit of the group.
- Local pet stores or zoos may take them off your hands.
- If there is a koi society in your area, they may be the best source of a new home for them.
Keeping an increased number of koi in the same environment can really damage all of them, so, cruel though part of the early steps may seem, it is one of the best options available.
===> Find Even More Related Good Ideas ===>
Other Garden Enthusiast Are Reading:
- Best Tips On Herbicides Usage And Selection – All You Need To Know Before Application FAQs 2022
- 11 Things You Should Know About Backpack Sprayer Before Buying One: The Guide To Safety, Selection And Maintenance 2022
- 10 Best Riding Lawn Mower For Hills: Reliable & Effective Brands To Take Care Of Your Yard 2022
✅ Outdoor Garden Design And Tips
- The 10 Best Potting Soil For Growing Healthy Plants Indoors Reviewed 2022 | Soil Mix, pH, Product Type
- Why You Must Properly Fledge Parrots: The Importance And Benefits Of Fledging Young Parrots 2022
- Creating A Backyard Paradise With Simple Tools: New Summer Experience And Garden Layout 2022
✅ Indoor Design And Tips
- The Best Mosquito Trap 2022 Reviewed: Keeping Pests At Bay By Baiting Them According To Your Needs
- How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs At Home With Bed Bug Killer 2022: Fast And Permanent Solutions
- The Loud And Clear Reminder To Get House Insurance 2022
✅ Even More Great Products
- Outdoor Portable Hot Tub Ultimate Guide For The Best Winter Fun 2022: Everything You Need To Know In Selecting, Using And Maintenance
- Best Weed Killers To Effectively Eliminate Them Reviewed 2022 | Lawn Care And Control
- Enjoy Summer Barbeque With Grill Smoker Combo: BBQ Lover’s Guide Before Purchase 2022
✅ Sustainable Lifestyle Products And Tips
- How To Create A Greener Garden Space: Ultimate Guide To Making Your Loved Outdoor Space Eco-Friendly 2022
- Where Do You Put Your Coffee On A Garden Bench? The Solution To Quality Self-Time
- 4 Methods Of Domestic Waste Disposal: Dispose Waste The Proper Way For Better Living Habits And Environmental Protection 2022