Overstocked and overpopulated koi fish ponds are very harmful to the fish. Too many fish will degrade the water quality very quickly. This will hasten the onset of disease amongst the koi.
Koi grow relatively quickly and to a large size. They spawn and fertilize usually in the spring of each year. You can sometimes detect when breeding is going to start:
- in male koi, white swellings similar to pimples appear near the gills and along the front edges of the pectoral fins (the fins at the lower front of the koi),
- in females, their bodies swell as they fill with eggs ready for laying.
There is no way to stop the reproductive cycle but at least you can be better prepared.
The problem of overpopulation comes down to removing the babies or fry, which can be accomplished using the following approach:
- As soon as you see that spawning has occurred, stop feeding the koi for about three weeks and let nature take its course. Basically, the adult koi will eat the fry. While this may seem cruel, it is natural and allowing it to happen allows the health of the remaining population to be maintained.
- As an option, removing the fry very early can be considered but as well as being difficult to do in practice in any case as they will usually be inaccessible if not almost invisible, it will be hard to find an outlet through which to relocate them.
- If the fry grows to a size where they resemble koi, then the adults will no longer see them as insects/food and at this point, the fry has to be removed for the benefit of the group.
- Local pet stores or zoos may take them off your hands.
- If there is a koi society in your area, they may be the best source of a new home for them.
Keeping an increased number of koi in the same environment can really damage all of them, so, cruel though part of the early steps may seem, it is one of the best options available.
Other Garden Carers Are Reading:
- The Best Grow Box To Cultivate As A Pro Reviewed 2021: Incubate Your Perfect Indoor Greenery Garden
- 10 Best Rear Tine Tiller Compared And Reviewed 2021: Breaking New Ground Without A Hitch
- Best Tips On Herbicides Usage And Selection – All You Need To Know Before Application FAQs 2021
✅ Outdoor Garden Design And Tips
- How To Add An Outdoor Gym In Your Own Garden 2021
- Animals And Pests Keep Intruding Your Garden? Add Fence Spikes To Your Fencing To Keep Them Out: Garden Protection Guide 2021
- How To Plan Garden Storage Sheds? Tips You Have To Know Before Your Purchase 2021
✅ Home Design And Tips
- Bring The Wonders Of The Garden Into Your Own Bedroom: Ideas To Make Over Your Room 2021
- Love Your Garden Possessions? Protect Your Prized Garden Furniture With Home Insurance 2021
- How to Select The Right Roman Blinds For Your Home: Your Perfect Interior Curtain Guide 2021
✅ Garden Care Products
- Detailed Review On The 10 Best Garden Shears 2021: Get Your Best Fit Here
- Best 10 Herbicide Of 2021 For Maintaining A Clean & Healthy Yard Reviewed
- The 10 Best Roach Killers Reviewed 2021: Get Rid Of The Nasty Bugs Safely And Efficiently With The Tool Of Your Choice
✅ Sustainable Living Products And Tips
- 4 Methods of Domestic Waste Disposal
- 3 Different Types Of Popular Outdoor Garden Lights 2021
- How to Create a Greener Garden Space
✅ Plant Care And Products
- Organic Gardening Creating A Chemical Free Garden
- Guide To Understand The Jew’s Ear Mushroom 2021 | Benefits, Uses, Remedies, Cures & Side-Effects
- Beginner’s Guide to Indoor Grow Box Before Purchase: Sustainable Cultivation Secrets at Home or in Office FAQs 2021
✅ Bird Care
- Tips For Choosing A High-Quality Birdcage 2021: Make Your Birds Comfortable At Home
- What Can Parrots Eat Or Not Eat? Find The Best Safe Fruits and Vegetables For Healthy Bird Diet 2021
- Bird Talk Guide: How To Teach Your Bird To Master The Human Language 2021
✅ Decluttering Tips